AMT 3D - Hybrid 3D Printing
Traditionally, 3D metal printing is used to print metal components from raw powder using the 3D cad model file. In recent years, it has been used to print only a portion of the component or injection mold. One common application is to print the conformal cooling insert onto the existing mold base, which was manufactured by conventional CNC process. This hybrid 3D printing allows the manufacturing of the conformal channel at the top of the mold.
This method allows us to repair or re-manufacture a portion of the existing component or mold instead of manufacturing the entire component/mold all over again. In this way, the overall cost is very much reduced since the same final product is achieved in a lower cycle time - by taking advantage of the benefits and complementing both traditional CNC machining and 3D metal printing technology.
Advantages of Hybrid 3D Printing:
- Able to repair existing mold or component
- Achieves cost savings relative to printing of the entire mold
- Complex cooling channel can be formed onto existing mold surface
- Adding conformal cooling system results in cycle time reduction (> 50% cycle time reduction easily achievable)
- Resolves part warpage and sink mark due to uneven cooling of part
- Increases overall production yield
- Increases injection machine capacity
- Increases profit margin of part
- Helps product designers perfect their ideas
Find out more about AMT's other business units and capabilities.