AMT 3D - Conformal Cooling
Conformal cooling inserts are commonly used in plastic injection molding applications. These are inserts with complex internal cooling channels which follow the shape of the cavity and core of the mold. These channels need to be close to the hot spots in the mold to ensure uniform temperature across the mold. Usage of the conformal cooling insert helps to shorten the injection cycle time, improve efficiency, enhance product quality as well as achieve overall cost savings.
Due to the complex internal cooling channels and geometries, the conformal cooling inserts can only be manufactured using 3D printing process. One good example is the use of AMT Selective Laser Melting process (SLM).
Advantages of using 3D Printing Conformal Cooling
- Able to manufacture high complex tool insert
- Able to optimize the design of the tooling insert
- Able to optimize the cooling system, resulting in shorter cycle time (> 50% cycle time reduction easily achievable)
- Resolves part warpage and sink mark due to uneven cooling of part
- Increases overall production yield
- Increases injection machine capacity
- Increases profit margin of part
- Helps product designers perfect their ideas
Find out more about AMT's other business units and capabilities.